Jim Kirkpatrick’s New Year Message: Make 2020 a ReNEWal Year
My 2018 New Year’s message detailed what I believe the learning and development industry needs to do in order to survive.
This year, I have my reNEWal intentions to share with you.
I am standing at my office desk in Newnan, GA, USA looking at my key chain. Among the usual keys for house, office, and car, and a little scanner for my grocery store. I also have a little scanner card for the local gym, which I joined a week ago.
I refuse to look at my joining the fitness center as a new year’s resolution. I am not at all interested in becoming one of the well-meaning majority who makes such resolutions and abandons them before February 1. I am interested in a life renewal, and I am going to give it my best shot, and I want to offer some inspiration for you to do the same.
I am 66 years old, and, according to my physician, quite physically healthy. Joining the gym is part of my attempt to keep it that way. Specifically, I will be working on maintaining muscle strength and tone, keeping heart health, and increasing my flexibility. Oh, I also intend to lose 8 pounds and keep it off.
My physical health, however, is only part of my reNEWal intention. I have a 30-year-old son by the name of C.J. who I adore. He lives in Madison, Wisconsin. While we never have cross words, we have not been as close as I would like. A few months ago I dedicated myself to do what I can to build a closer relationship with him. We now talk or text several times a week, and have made numerous plans to get together, both during the holidays and beyond.
I am also working on being more open with people, closer to my cadre of good male friends, more uplifting to people I meet, stronger in my spiritual life, and allowing more opportunities for people and situations to take my breath away.
In other words, I want a neNEWal. I plan to use whatever means I can to ensure that I, on January 1, 2021, I will find myself a reNEWed person, father, friend, and professional. To accomplish this lofty goal, it only seems natural to employ the New World Kirkpatrick Model.
I am not one who believes the popular adage, “You can accomplish anything you can dream.” It’s ridiculous to suggest that I can take over for Aaron Rodgers as the quarterback for the Green Bay Packers NFL football team. However, I can set realistic goals and live my best life.
My Level 4 Results and Leading Indicators
Live my best life through good health, spiritual strength and positive interpersonal relationships
- Stay at healthy blood pressure
- Return to healthy weight
- Increase flexibility
- Feel more peace and less anxiety
- Sleep restfully
- Be more authentic with friends and family
- Have more adventures with friends and family
My Level 3 Critical Behaviors
- Work out at the gym for one hour, 3 times per week, including cardio, strength and flexibility workouts
- Run two miles twice per week
- Read food labels prior to making a purchase, and select items with the fewest unhealthy ingredients
- Reduce food portions
My Level 3 Required Drivers
- Track critical behaviors and required drivers on a wall chart
- 2 friends have agreed to encourage me when I follow my plan and challenge me when I don’t
- Reward myself monthly for overall good compliance with several new fishing lures
- Deny myself the pleasure of watching the TV show “Bonanza” for a week when I have poor compliance
Consider joining me in reNEWing yourself individually and professionally this year, with your feet solidly on the ground of reality. Here are a few ways to get started:
- Talk with people about what and who you want to become in 2020.
- Document the highest level results you wish to accomplish, and more importantly, the specific actions you will take to accomplish them. Make a list of the reinforcement and encouragement you will need to maximize your outcomes.
- Visit kirkpatrickpartners.com to access over 100 free resources to help you.
- Call us if we can help! We can give you specific suggestions as to how you can reNEW your training function from being a cost center to being a true strategic business partner.
I need to go. Time to work out! I’ll update you as to the progress on my goals in March.
Hope and Joy Amidst the Fire – 2019’s New Year Message